8/29/2009

My Fall Catalogue Picks

First Stop ~ RESTORATION HARDWARE

Who knew?  Restoration Hardware has been changing it’s look over the last couple of years. I use to think of it as a competitor to Pottery Barn, it’s focus lately seems to be shifting in more upscale direction,  like Williams Sonoma Home.  The catalogue has always a little boring to me while it has beautiful pieces, it always seems a little vanilla to me.  That’s why, I was surprised at some of the unique items from their fall collection.  See for yourself:

prod1613051[1] Vintage linen and hemp pillows are popping up everywhere.  I just blogged about my flour sack excursion last week (See Valley Girl For a Day).  These Vintage French Linen Pillow Covers above, have various French prints and see below how they look displayed in room. If you can’t find flour or grain sacks at the flea market or in your local antique market this is a cost effective alternative.  I think, I will be ordering a couple of these.

Furniture Factory Cart (Below). I like things that look rustic, but, aren’t trying too hard.  This looks like something you would pickup at a European Flea Market.  I imagine this paired with a white linen sofa and some patterned chairs.  What’s great about this piece is you can mix with anything from leather as they show it, modern, or classic.  I picture it with books piled on top with a large orchard, a nice yummy candle and a ceramic statue of sorts.

I am in love, love, love, (did I say love?) with this Devon Leather Chair (See Below).  This reminds me of something that would come from Knoll but with a twist.  The dark chocolate brown leather, and clean shape is timeless.  This piece will get better and better as it ages.  It’s a little over my budget right now $795.00, but it sure would look great with my white parsons dining table (I use it as my desk) from West Elmprod1613201[1]

This Flatiron Desk (See Below) is so versatile. It has an unfinished top, crafted from antique doors, and has been planed and sanded to a slightly distressed finish.  The legs are steel with caster wheels. Flatiron Desk-FurnitureYou can see how they have utilized it in a room with the Devon Leather Chair (See Below) , but it would also make a great dining table in a kitchen that, has an open floor plan.  It’s durability would make this function well for a family with kids or the guy in your life that is hard on furniture.  It reminds me something Nate Berkus would have in his house.

prod1613201_av4[1]   prod1608042_av2[1]

Many companies have recently been making great reproductions of these chairs.  Restoration Hardware offers two different styles, the vintage chair or the barstool.  These are perfect for an island, a bar, or as a decorative accent that you can use as extra seating when needed.

prod1608043_av2[1]   prod1613080[1]

   Maps make great wall art, this Vintage Paris Map (See Above) framed would make a great addition to one’s walls (See Below).

I bought two vintage maps of Boston and Italy at the Santa Monica flea market, from the late 1800’s.  This reminds me, I need to have them framed.

prod1613080_av2[1]

Reproductions of old New York Subway Signs make for interesting art (See Below).

Subway Sign Art Large-Home Decor-Art

 

prod1613173_av3[1]

Steamer Trunks are in this year (See Above). Restoration Hardware was very creative putting this piece together.  This would work well for someone living in an open floor plan, like a loft or studio.  When space is tight, or you don’t want your home office on display, simply shut the door.  Let the piece provoke conversation, which, I am sure will lead to the question, “What’s in the trunk?”.  Won’t they be surprised when you open it up.  For those of you that are organized, leaving it open and displaying the unique cubbies, will I’m sure, evoke envy from your friends or foes.prod1613173_av6[1]

 Mayfair Steamer Chest Vintage Cigar Leather

This Mayfair Steamer Chest is a notable addition to any home.  Made of distressed vintage cigar leather it makes a stately accent.  Pair it between two chairs as seen below or place it against a wall with a large mirror over it, use it in a dining room with decanters on it, or as a nightstand next to a bed.  I love the vintage leather material, and it breaks up a room by adding another element of texture.  This is another way to add additional storage into a room. As an alternative, if this isn’t in your budget, you can also use old dressers or chests that, maybe you didn’t know what to do with, in the same manner.

I didn’t expect to find so many unique items while browsing through the Restoration Hardware catalogue, that, I will have to save my Pottery Barn picks for tomorrow.  What are your favorite fall picks?

 

Photo Credits:  All from www.restorationhardware.com

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails