1/07/2011

Stocking your Powder Room for Guests

I love powder rooms for the simple reason, they are compact and you can be a little more creative with them.  However, today’s post is not about design but about the key things I believe every powder room should contain when you host a dinner party, or simply have company over.  This is where my friends will roll their eyes at me.   You would be surprised how many of these things are actually missing from peoples bathrooms.  Here are some of Peggy & Fritz’s tips on how to make your guests feel comfortable in your bathroom, powder room, bano, toilet, etc. 

My ideal powder room.design-trends-powder-rooms-05.jpg

1.  Use paper napkins vs. a hand towel for your guests.  Most people prefer to use a paper napkin to dry their hands vs. using the same hand towel that some one else has used to dry their hands.  Believe it or not, I have had people still wipe their hands on a decorative hand towel when guest towels were provided,  that bugs by the way (pet peeve).  I use long napkins and keep them on a white ceramic dish purchased at Cost Plus, it’s meant for serving, but I love it for holding napkins (it looks clean and elegant). You can use all kinds of items for holding napkins (I don’t like those store bought ones except below) such as a silver tray from the flea market, porcelain dishes, pottery, etc.    I change the napkins based on holidays, time of year, etc.  You can find them at Home Goods, Target, Amazon has a great selection, and Horchow has some that you can have monogrammed, etc.

Caspari Tonkin Paper Guest Towels packages, 15-Per Package, Set of 2 Entertaining with Caspari Set of 2 John Derian Ferns Set of 15 Paper Guest Towels, Ivory
Caspari Cherry Blossums Paper Guest Towels Packages, 15-Per Package, Set of 2

Entertaining with Caspari Set of 2 Chloe Guest Towels, Pink, 30 Towels Total

2. Always leave a garbage can out.  Even if you keep your waste basket under your sink, please take it out when you have guests.  Also, for those that do not have one in their bathroom, if for no other reason then my next sentence, kindly purchase a waste basket.  There is nothing worse than it being that “time of the month” and needing to throw away your “goods” and you look and there is no basket.  I’m like, are you kidding me?  I know, likely not what you thought I would say, but I’m just stating the facts.  I’ve actually been places where there was no waste basket.  I had to stuff “the goods”   in my pocket and march directly to the kitchen to find a trash can so I could throw out “the unmentionables”.  Now, what if I was wearing a cocktail dress? Can you imagine the horror?  Please don’t subject your guests to this!   I know a little more visual than you needed.  How else can I get the point across?  If you usually put it under the sink, it is helpful during a party to pull it out and place it by the toilet or if you don’t keep one in there at all,  if for no other reason than the one above, you need to purchase one.

3. Keep an extra roll of toilet paper in the bathroom.  I keep a small wicker basket right next to the toilet  (with a lid that flips up).  It’s visible to guests should they run out of toilet paper. They won’t feel funny opening it up because it’s a logical choice for them to look and the best part is, they don’t have to get up. They simply reach to the left or the right.  

4.  Always have room spray.  Let’s face it, sometimes you have to poop.  Nothing is worse then looking around and seeing no room spray.  You don’t want to be the one that poops and leaves the bathroom.   Your then cringing in fear that someone will step into the bathroom right after you and your thinking, “Please don’t go in there!” Then without words your subjected to “the oh….., she just pooped look”.   Save us the embarrassment please.  I have a tiny electric socket right near my toilet with a ledge where I keep a small can visible.  If you have a basket next to the toilet, you can store it where the toilet paper is or leave it down on the floor behind the basket, but still visible. Sorry after Dr. Oz was on Oprah, poop conversations make me laugh and I don’t even have kids.

5. Provide liquid soap in a pump.  Only use a bar of soap for yourself or as a decorative item.  When you have multiple guests, it’s best to provide a pump of soap as it’s more sanitary.  No one wants to be using the same bar of soap as everyone else. Reserve that for your family and switch it out for guests.

 Mor Cosmetics Emporium Italian Blood Orange

6.  Adding little touches.  I usually have a nice scented candle or tea light burning in a votive holder and a fresh flower or mixed greens in a bud vase.  Just these little things add a nice touch and make guests feel special.

 Foret Royale Classic Toile Pagoda Box Candle

Now as a guest in someone’s home, I think it’s important to exercise the following:  1. It is considered polite after you wash your hands to wipe down the faucet and counter.  Some people wash their hands and you would think a bird had just been in their flickering around in a birdbath.  There’s water everywhere. It’s sprinkled on the mirror, on the counter and there are water spots all over the faucet (another pet peeve, water spots make me crazy).  When I say crazy, I mean crazy.  I’m not known as the Windex Queen for a reason.  Just so you know, you are not in a hotel, your in someone’s home.  Kindly use your napkin and wipe off the common area and faucet.   2.  Since it’s likely I don’t have any men reading my blog but if I do, please put down the toilet seat.  For all the moms out there, please teach your son’s this!  No one wants their company walking into a guest bathroom to the visual of a toilet seat up.  While this happens rarely with my guests, there is always someone from time to time a guest that will do this.  Ok, I’m done.  I’d love to hear your tips of anything I haven’t included. 

Do you have any tips that I haven’t listed.  If so, I would love to hear them.

9 comments:

Andrew and Nicole Bloch said...

I'm having guests tomorrow and have adopted the paper towel habit as well (Kleenex brand makes some now that fit right in a towel bar!)
Also, I keep a small book of matches on the back of the toilet, next to spray. Lighting a match and blowing it out quickly removes any foul odor.

goodniteirene.wordpress.com said...

where.
do.
i.
begin?

okay......
well, hmmm. i totally agree with the toilet paper, candle, rubbish bin. and i KNOW for my guests' i should put liquid soap....but i'm trying so. so. so hard not purchase anymore soap in plastic dispenser. my argument is: it's effing soap, no? it's getting you clean not dirtier so why would it matter (germ freaks) if it's bar soap and someone's already touched it? and i like the old fashion-ness of hand made french milled soap. also, the paper napkins...my mother is big on this. but i LOVE the white, linen hand towels. the more wrinkled they get the better over the night (just like they would at your french chateau)..
whoops..prolly shoulda just emailed this thesis.

Peggy and Fritz said...

Katie - I'm laughing out loud big time. Love your frankness :) I love those linen towls and french soap too it's just when people visit they leave it all icky on the counter so for company I stick to liquid. I buy a nice dispenser and refill liquid. Best part of blogging is every one is different. Loved the thesis.

Anonymous said...

Loved your post. This is not for public comment - I just wanted to tell you there is a typo in the post's title. It mentions a "power room" rather than a "powder room".

cotedetexas said...

I was a little nervous reading this that somewhere i would be lacking, but I think I have almost all points covered. I use paper towels for guests too. And I have an antique yellow ware French jar that I use for a trash can. I used to keep one inside the cabinets, but a few years ago switched to the jar which is really cute. Hmmm. I always light a scented candle before a dinner party - I don't provide a spray. I guess I should? But like the other woman I refuse, refuse to have a soap dispenser!!! uggh!!!! no way! hahahahhah!!!! I have little soaps and put out a couple of fresh ones for guests to use. Always put out fresh flowers in the powder room and I leave the lights on, but the candles add enough light for when no one is in there. Is that all? No magazines? That might be a nice touch for guests that are hmmm slow to do their business??? hehe. OH'- that's a good idea about the toilet paper, but I usually put out a fresh roll so that I won't run out during a dinner party. GREAT POST!

Peggy and Fritz said...

I think the big debate is going to be hand soap vs. liquid. Also, Joni love the idea of the French Jar for the garbage can.

Peggy and Fritz said...

Thanks so much Anonymous for pointing out the powder room. I would have emailed you back but ha no way. I love when people point out things. As everyone knows, I'm horrible at this stuff - if I hit the big bucks I'll hire an editor. I spell checked my blog a thousand times and looked at my title more than that and never noticed. That's why you need an editor. Thanks A!!! You're the best and had to publish you so I could respond xo xo.

The Simply Luxurious Life said...

This is a great list. I always appreciate hosts who have hand soap in a pump as well as lotion. Soap is just so messy for everyone.

By the way, thank you for your taco idea. I have always loved fish tacos, but I've never tried them with shrimp. A fantastic idea that I will be keeping in mind. I always enjoy your ideas.

Oh, and an extra roll - a must!!!
:)
I hope your weekend is going well.

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

I always use liquid soap and have it in a pretty dispenser that I refill. Haven't used bar soap in years for guests!!!! I also have the paper guest towels. I am guilty of having the trash can under the sink so now will take it out when we have guests. I also have a tart burner lit in the bathroom for guests but also provide spray and I have a basket with extra TP too. I guess that covers it all:) Great post!!!!!!!!! XO, Pinky

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails