7/12/2010

Summer Desserts

I don’t know what it is about our gloomy and cold weather we’re having in LA but it has got me in the cooking mood.  My girlfriend and her husband invited us over for an impromptu dinner on Friday night. She texted me and said, “ Do u and blake wanna come over 4 din 2nite?  SUPER casual and mellow! Just the 4 of us.  I feel like cooking:) 7 PM.”  I texted her and said sounds great and since I was in the mood to cook too, I’ll bring dessert.  I had been eyeing some rhubarb at Whole Foods for the last month and had some extra raspberries left over from the 4th of July and wanted to create something.  I found this yummy recipe called Rhubarb-Raspberry Crisp.  I decided to double the topping because I wanted it super crunchy.

I had to laugh when we walked into Nick’s house, she had fresh flowers everywhere and she had set table with fresh hydrangeas, her silver salt and pepper shakers, her linen napkins, and vintage glasses.  In addition, she made braised short ribs with pasta and a beautiful salad with a lemon dressing.  Remember “Super Casual”.  I started laughing because this is what we do all the time.  As much as we want it to be super casual, the entertainer in us ends up wanting the table to look great along with the food.  The main course was amazing.

The dessert was a hit and the color went perfectly with the decor.  We served it warm with vanilla bean ice cream.  Next time, I would like try making it in individual ramekins.  I think it would be a nice touch for everyone to have their own bubbling hot dishes.  It’s the perfect dessert for summer time – a little sweet and a little tart.  Hope you enjoy!

  Just out of the oven – bubbling hot!

P1010413

     After dinner, serving dessert dessert with vanilla bean ice cream.P1010420

    Nick’s “super casual” table setting.  Isn’t it adorable (see below)?

P1010414

Table up close. P1010416

For the delicious recipe see below:

RHUBARB-RASPBERRY CRISP

Ingredients

  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon instant tapioca
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 4 cups rhubarb, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 1 cup raspberries
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
  • 1/2 cup butter, chilled
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.
  2. In a large bowl, combine sugar, tapioca, cornstarch and salt. Place rhubarb and raspberries into bowl making sure to completely coat them with dry ingredients. Pour into baking pan.
  3. In a medium bowl, mix together brown sugar, flour and oats. Cut in butter until mixture resembles pea-sized crumbs. Spread on top of fruit mixture.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until rhubarb is tender.

Amount Per Serving  Calories: 122 | Total Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 10mg

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails